Monday, November 15, 2004

Chapter Five - Part Three (24,389 Words)

After we had all consumed the midday meal Yeshua resumed his teaching from the boat and the crowd on the lakeshore continued to swell in size. His teachings continued to challenge the minds of all who listened. The next parable he told was this:

“When darkness falls and your bring your lamp inside your home for the night, where do you put it? You do not put it under your bed or inside a cupboard. No, you put it on a lamp stand or some other place where its light will fill your home. Whatever is hidden will be revealed; it will be brought out into the open in the end. Those who have ears, let them hear.

“Listen to what I have told you. By whatever means you judge others, so will you be judged and your judgment will be harsher. Those who have much will have even more given to them and those who have little will see it all taken from them. This is the command of my Father.”

The Twelve looked among themselves quite confused but I understood his teaching instantly. I began to explain it to them. Peter grew angry with me and told me that such things were not for women to understand and certainly not to teach about. I scowled at him and grew silent. Yeshua continued his teachings.

“Who does not know a mustard seed? I tell you the kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed. When it is sown on the ground of this earth it is the smallest of all seeds. Yet when it grows up it the greatest of all trees with large branches so that the birds might nest within those branches and find protection and shade there. You will inherit the kingdom of heaven with faith the size of a mustard seed.”

Always after Yeshua had finished teaching the crowds would close in on him. But this time night was falling and he said to us, “Let’s go across to the other side of the lake.” We did as we were told and began moving across the sea. There were many boats but I was in the boat with Yeshua along with Peter, John and several others of the Twelve. He was very tired from the day of teaching and went to the rear of the boat to rest. While Yeshua was sleeping a horrific storm arose. The waters raged like I had never seen in all my years living on the Sea of Galilee. Soon the waves were crashing over the side of the boat and the boat was rocking. I found myself unsteady and made my way to Peter and John to see if I might be of some assistance. The men were trying to secure things to the deck. I reached down and began tying ropes myself. A weaver knows how to tie knots that stay. A great wave rushed over us.

“Are you all right Mary?” John called to me. He was always thoughtful and kind toward me. This was much different than Peter. Peter looked disgusted.

“I am all right John. Make sure we get the basket with our bread secured as well. It would be a disaster to see that go over board.”

“John!” Peter cried out as a wave knocked him off his feet, “We should wake Yeshua! Surely he can help us!”

“I do not think we should trouble him!” I shouted back, “He wanted his rest!”

“What do you know? It is a wonder that he is still asleep!”

“I believe Mary is right Peter. Leave Yeshua be.”

“I don’t care what you say! I’m waking him!”

Peter of course had the support of the others and he rushed to wake up Yeshua. He shook him violent and Yeshua awoke.

“Rabboni! We are dying here. A storm is raging and destroying our ship. Don’t you care? Why are you lying here asleep? Help us!”

I was always amazed at Peter and his willingness to speak to him like that. He was the Messiah after all. What happened next was the second miracle I witnessed after my own healing. Yeshua rose and merely cried out to the wind and the sea, “Be still!” All at once the winds died down and the waters grew quiet. It felt as if there had never been a storm and that there would never be a storm again. It was quiet and a stillness unlike any other I had every experienced in my life. It was beautiful.

Yeshua turned to us with disappointment in his eyes, “Why are you afraid? Why do you not trust me? Do you still have no faith?” He turned and returned to his cushion and went back to sleep.

We stood there, ashamed, feeling as children who had just been scolded by their parents. I hung my head in shame. I should have stopped Peter from waking Yeshua. We should have had faith in him.

Peter turned to John and spoke, “Who can he be if even the winds and the sea obey his command?”

I answered for John, “The Messiah.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Seven - Part One (50,747 Words)

The miracle of Lazarus’s resurrection angered the Pharisees and the priests. Messages were being brought to us daily warning us not to go ...