Friday, November 19, 2004

Chapter Six - Part One (30,428 Words)

We set up camp near the sea in Capernaum. Joanna, Susanna and I went about grinding grain and preparing the bread for the men while they reclined and listened to Yeshua’s teachings. I began to be disappointed that I was missing Yeshua’s teachings but I discovered that he would teach me after the men went to bed. It seemed that Yeshua and I both were unable to sleep at night and we would typically spend them together deep in conversation.

Joanna and Susanna had gone into the tent to sleep and I stayed out and finished cleaning up from the evening meal. To my surprise Yeshua came and started to help me. I tried to make him stop but he refused. I stood dumbfounded for a few minutes. No man, not even my beloved Elias, had ever assisted in cleaning up from meals. I was embarrassed that the Messiah would.

“Rabboni, this is unworthy a task for you.”

“No task is unworthy of me, my child.”

“But Rabboni…”

“My child, hush. I am helping you and you will like it,” he smiled and we laughed. I was one of the few people who could make Yeshua laugh. I always took great pride in that. It was such a pleasure to be able to make the Messiah laugh.

We were sitting near the fire after cleaning up. I turned to him, “Thank you for you help.”

He smiled back at me and winked, “Sssh, don’t tell the others.”

We laughed again. I loved these moments I got alone with him, “Rabboni…”

“Please Mary, do not always refer to me so formally. My name is Yeshua, you may call me that.”

I must admit that it was a little strange for me at first to get used to calling him Yeshua. I sat silent for a few moments, repeating his name over and over in my head.

“Now I’ve scared you into silence,” he said.

“No, I was just practicing.”

“Practicing?”

I blushed, “Saying your name.”

Yeshua laughed out loud, “Is it that difficult?”

“It’s just that…well, you’re…you know.”

“No, what am I?”

I looked at him. Surely he knew.

“Who do you say that I am?”

“You’re the Messiah.”

“Keep this to yourself for a time.”

“Yes, Rabboni.” He turned and shot me a look. I giggled, “Sorry, yes Yeshua.”

We fell back into a silence. After a time I worked up the nerve to speak again, “Yeshua, what does it feel like when you perform your miracles?”

He paused for a few moments and then started to speak, “It is difficult thing to explain. But the best way is for you to think about how you felt at that mikvah. I felt very humble. I was unworthy.”

“How can you feel unworthy? You are Yahweh’s son.”

“I wish you could understand. You provide me so much comfort.”

“What is it you need comfort from Yeshua?”

He grew quiet and grave, “I must bear a heavy burden for the world. It weighs on me everyday. You help make me forget that. You make me smile and laugh. Not many can do that. I thank you for that.”

“I’m glad I can be a servant to you my Lord.”

“You are a unique one of my disciples. You understand, you have compassion. You always understand my teaching first.”

We sat and talked all about his teaching for hours. Again until the first light. When the sun peaked over the horizon. Yeshua gave me another wink and whispered in my ear, “Better not let Peter see us.”

I laughed as he walked away to catch a little bit of sleep before the rest of the disciples awoke. I was not the least bit tired and began to get things ready for the morning meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Seven - Part One (50,747 Words)

The miracle of Lazarus’s resurrection angered the Pharisees and the priests. Messages were being brought to us daily warning us not to go ...