Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Chapter Six - Part Three (41,059 Words)

Our travels continued and brought us to Caesarea Philippi. When we arrived Yeshua took some time and called us aside. He was yet to begin his teachings for the day. He had gathered us around to teach while we were on the boat. I loved listening to Yeshua’s teachings. He could bring things across in such a great way.

“Who do people the Son of Man is?” He asked us.

“Some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

“But what about you? Who do you say I am?”

Peter spoke up, “You are the Messiah, Son of Yahweh.”

Yeshua then said, “You are blessed Simon Peter. This was not revealed to you by man but by my Father in heaven. I tell you the truth Peter; you are the rock upon which I will build my church. The will of Satan will not overcome it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever is taken from you hear on earth will be made available to you in heaven.

“Tell no one of these words I have spoken to you.”

Yeshua rose and went out to teach that day. I wanted to slap Peter silly. He went around amongst us and gloated about what Yeshua had said about him. I was intensely jealous of the remarks Yeshua had made about Peter. Yeshua always confided in me. He always told me how I was the quickest of his disciples. He always said that I provided him comfort. How could he say this about Peter? Peter, who he always commented on his slow wits. How could Peter be the foundation of his church? I wanted it to be me. I was angry with Yeshua for his.

Of course, Yeshua sensed this in his ever-perceptive way. He came up to me that night, as I could not sleep yet again. I did not acknowledge him when he sat beside me.

“You are angry with me Mary.”

I did not respond. I was wounded by his comments to Peter.

“Mary, my child.” He reached out took my chin in his hand. He turned my face toward his, “Do not be angry with me.”

“Yeshua, Peter?”

“Mary, I have my reasons. Please, trust me.”

“But, Peter?”

“Yes, Peter. I would have chosen you had you not been a woman.”

“What?”

“Think about this Mary. You are a wise woman. You could not lead the church; no one would listen. You know this. Do not be mistaken; you will have a great and very important role. But it is a separate role than Peter’s and you must accept it.”

I felt immense waves of guilt rush over me, “Oh I am so sorry Yeshua! Please, forgive me.”

He smiled, “You are forgiven, my child.”

I was glad I was no longer angry with him. We were silent again.

“Mary, I must tell you something.”

I could sense an uneasiness in his voice, “What is it Yeshua?”

“Please, just listen to me. Do not speak until I have finished.”

“All right.”

He began, “My role as a Messiah is not the role that most of Israel expects. They are expecting a warrior, a great king to come and conquer the Romans and redeem them. That is not what I have been sent to do. I do plan to establish my kingdom but it is not a kingdom of this world; it is a kingdom in heaven. I have come to prepare a place all of you there.

“I have come to die, so that you might live.”

I gasped, “Yeshua no! You cannot die!”

“Listen to me Mary. I must. It through death that one receives life. Life and death go hand in hand. The time will come for me to be handed over to the authorities so they might kill me. But do not fear for I will rise again on the third day. Life with triumph over death and you need never fear death again because we will have won the battle.

“This is the war I must fight; this is how it must be. Life will win. Do not be dissuaded, you must stand firm. I must die; it is part of my Father’s plan. This is how I will come to glory. Do you understand?”

“Yes. Yes, my Lord, I do understand. Do I have to like it?”

He smiled, “No, you do not have to like it, but you must accept it. As must I.”

I threw my arms around his neck and began to weep. To my surprise, Yeshua also wept with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Seven - Part One (50,747 Words)

The miracle of Lazarus’s resurrection angered the Pharisees and the priests. Messages were being brought to us daily warning us not to go ...