Saturday, November 20, 2004

Chapter Six - Part Two (32,324 Words)

We stepped onto shore in Magdala shortly before sunset. All that we did that first day was to get some more bread and cheese for a supper. Susanna and Joanna wanted me to go with them since I was born and raised here but I hesitated. I was not ready to meet up with the people who had treated me so poorly throughout my life. I said I would prepare the drink for the evening meal while they sought out the bread and cheese. They took some of the tunics we had woven to barter with.

The men set out to tend to the boat. Yeshua went and sat out on a rock that overlooked the sea. I took this opportunity to go and sit with him. I needed to speak with him about being here in Magdala. He greeted me with a smile when I approached him and patted the rock beside him, indicating that he would like me to join him. I sat down beside him. He knew my thoughts before I shared them.

“You are troubled, my child. Do not be. This town is no longer yours. You belong to the kingdom of heaven. That is your home now. This is a place of your past. Do not fear.”

“It is difficult to be here Yeshua. This place has caused me much grief and suffering.”

“As it always will. Remember, a prophet is never welcome in the town where he came of age. I was not accepted in Nazareth, I fear you will not be accepted here either.”

“But Yeshua, I am hardly a prophet.”

“You are correct, you are not a prophet. You are something greater, you are my disciple. You are a witness to the Son of Man. For that you will be cast aside.”
I could not help but tremble at this thought. I would be rejected here in Magdala. I would come to be rejected everywhere I went all because I believed in the Truth. Yeshua knew it and he told me because he knew that I could handle it and it would not change the way I felt toward him.

“I would like to seek out my dear childhood friend, Devora. I would like to see how she is doing and how her family has grown.”

“Seek out your friend my child. But be aware of what I have told you.”

“I will remember Yeshua.”

The women returned with the bread and cheese and I left Yeshua’s side to help serve the men their meal. We were all very tired from the journey as well as all the teaching Yeshua had been doing. After our meal we all got back aboard the boat to sleep for the night. Even Yeshua joined us aboard and slept.

I slept restlessly that night. I was anxious about seeing Devora and Solomon, for I was unsure how they would respond to my presence. When Yeshua healed me I did not go back and say good-bye to anyone, I simply joined his crowd and left, taking nothing with me. There was nothing that I needed. I only needed Yeshua.

When the sun rose I rose with it. I had the morning meal entirely prepared when everyone woke up. I was so nervous I needed something to do with my hands and preparing the meal was what suited me best. The other women were very grateful for my preparation and the men were also pleased because there was no waiting for their food in the morning. I only ate a little. My stomach was tying and untying itself in knots and I was afraid that any food I introduced into my stomach, it would violently reject.

Yeshua and the disciples set out to the temple so that Yeshua could teach. I was quite certain that there would be a large crowd and people bringing the sick to him to heal. I had told no one but Yeshua where I was going that day. I held back when they left and instead of heading away from the shore and into the town, I walked along the shore toward Devora’s home. My heart was beating hard against my chest and my hands trembled. I went through over and over in my mind what I was going to say to her. Nothing sounded fitting. It all sounded like a poor excuse. I began to pray.

“Oh Great Creator, Oh God of my fathers, of Father of Yeshua, please give me Your words. Help me to give Devora and Solomon the wonderful and happy news that the Messiah had come. To make them believe that our Savior and Redeemer is here, walking amongst them. Oh please, My Lord, make them believe.”

I had been walking with my face to the heavens and did not notice that I had walked directly up to Devora’s well. I looked about and could see the outline of a woman working in the garden. There were two small children beside her. I turned my gaze out toward the sea and saw Solomon preparing his boat for his daily work. I held my breath as I began walking toward Devora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Seven - Part One (50,747 Words)

The miracle of Lazarus’s resurrection angered the Pharisees and the priests. Messages were being brought to us daily warning us not to go ...